We are a Christian couple learning how to do this thing called life as we strive for our eternal goal of Heaven. Join us as we learn to lean on God, on each other, and on our family and friends. We have battled infertility, miscarriage, having a micropreemie, and now we are raising our sweet little girl who has mild Cerebral Palsy. We have been thrown alot of curves in this thing called life, but we have overcome each obstacle and are stronger than ever
Friday, July 17, 2009
Change in Plans (A little graphic)
On July 9th I was having a pretty good day. I had been feeling really good for the past couple of days. Daniel and I had even gone to a play that evening in Millbrook. We got home around 10:15 or so and things were going fine. We ate dinner, I used the potty, I took my prenatal vitamin and we got in the bed. About 10 minutes after laying down I felt wet so I pulled the covers back and was covered in blood. Of course we panicked. I ran to the bathroom, put a pad on, threw some clothes on and called the doctor. Daniel threw some clothes on, threw Trixie in her cage and began to shake uncontrollably. I of course could not panic yet cause I knew I needed to to talk to the doctor. We left to rush to the ER before the doctor even called back. I have no idea how Daniel could drive at that point. Soon the doctor called and explained to me that it was rare to have a miscarriage after 13 weeks so since I was 16 weeks 1 day I needed to come into the ER for evaluation. At that point Daniel called my parents to let them know what was going on. They decided to meet us there. At that point I began to panic. We were both crying and praying and I began to shake uncontrollably. To the point were I thought I was going into shock. I literally looked like I was having a seizure. We made it to ER in 15 min. (this is usually a 30 min. drive). Once there, Daniel dropped me off at the door so he park and i went in with blood soaked pants. I walked in a explained to the girl at the desk what was going on. She told me to take a seat because their computer was down. I was still shivering and people were staring at me. Daniel walks in and questions them and soon after they let him come to the window to check us in. Not long after I am called to triage and taken to a room. Right before this my parents got there. They put us in a room and no one comes in. So we are just sitting there all panicked fearing the worst. Daniel walks out to the nurses station and tells them to get someone in there now! Soon a guy walks in to hand me a gown and stuff and shortly after that a nurse comes in. My mom was able to come back then too. At this point I have to stand up to put on my gown and when I do blood gushes to the floor. I lost it at this point. I just knew it was over. Daniel was crying and even my mom at this point. I laid down in the bed and soon the nurse came in to do my IV and the tech came in to do my ultrasound. I couldn't tell a thing about what she was doing with the IV. I was so focused on the ultrasound. I know now that I was stuck 3 times before they got it. My mom stepped out of the room because she was so scared about the ultrasound. As soon as she started the ultrasound we could see the baby's heart beating and moving around. She looked around for a while saying everything looks fine so we were starting to feel a little better. But then she asked me if I had injured myself. I said no and she said I had a small placental abruption (this is where the placenta tears away from the uterus a little). She tried to see the sex but the legs were closed. Well I was admitted that night and was in a room by 2am. The doctor would come around the next morning and we would find out more. By this time I was in a lot of pain from cramping so they gave me a Lortab which of course did not touch it. I could not sleep until the doc came. Daniel slept in 10 min. intervals for a couple hours. The doctor came around 6:30. Not my reg. doctor but a different doctor who is in the same group. He explained to us that I had a 2cm tear and that I would be in the hospital for a while. He explained that the baby was doing very well and that with bedrest we should be able to deliver a healthy baby. He prescribed me low dose Demerol for the cramps and said he would see me in the morning. Daniel and I slept most of that day. That night was pretty stressful. The nurses were suppose to be doing the fetal heart monitor twice a day so our night nurse decided to try. She apparently had no experience with this. She tried for 20 min. to find it and could not so our minds started to flash back to when we found out about Zachary. So they had to order an ultrasound. We waited for over an hour for the ultrasound guy to come which was pure torture. He came in and we saw the heartbeat right away and the baby was moving all around. We asked if he could tell the sex and he would not even try because he said he is quite often wrong this early. So after all that of course we didn't sleep well that night either. The doc, a different one, came by the next morning and said that things were going ok but I would still need to be in the hospital for a while. Sat. went pretty good except for the night time. I started to pass large clots which our nurse for the night scared us to death by saying that they looked like pieces of placenta. So of course we didn't sleep well that night either. Sunday morning another doctor we have never seen before came by. He said that passing clots is completely normal while on bedrest. What happens is when you are laying down the blood pools and when you get up to use the restroom it comes out that way. He said that was a small improvement from constant heavy bleeding. We had a better day that day and then slept pretty good that night. On Monday morning the first doc came to see us. He was optimistic and ordered an ultrasound to check on things. About an hour later the girl came in to do the ultrasound. I was not happy with this lady at all. Every other u/s we have ever had they always show us the heart first and give us the rate. She didn't say anything at first so I asked if there was a heartbeat. She said "We aren't suppose to tell you anything." We of course started to freak out thinking that meant something was wrong. 20 minutes later she saw how panicked we were and finally showed and told us the heartrate. She pushed so hard on my stomach and it was soooo painful. It took forever for her to finish. That night I started to have horrible pains that were different from what I had been feeling. Also my uterus would tighten for a few min. at a time. They thought of was having contractions so they called to on call doc which happened to be my regular doc. He was horrible! It took him over an hour to even call back and then another hour to come by. And it just got worse from there. He walked in the door and everything he said was gloomy. He brings in a small ultrasound machine for our piece of mind he says, which he does not even know how to use. He does a very short scan just to show us the heartbeat but has no idea how to measure the rate. He then sits on my bed and says "I don't know what to do". He then proceeds to tell us that there is nothing that he can do and bedrest isnt going to save my baby and that if he had seen me Thurs. he would have sent me home. All this after 3 other docs have said the exact opposite. He wanted to send me home the next day but we protested. The next morning the admitting doctor came by and said that we were absolutely not going home yet and would not until I had no bleeding for 24 hours. (continued in next blog).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment