We are a Christian couple learning how to do this thing called life as we strive for our eternal goal of Heaven. Join us as we learn to lean on God, on each other, and on our family and friends. We have battled infertility, miscarriage, having a micropreemie, and now we are raising our sweet little girl who has mild Cerebral Palsy. We have been thrown alot of curves in this thing called life, but we have overcome each obstacle and are stronger than ever




Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Immunology?

So today I had an appt. with an immunologist. My mom was recently diagnosed with an immune disorder that is hereditary so I made an appt. with him to see if that could be the reason for the miscarriage. My RE suggested this.

So after taking a long history he doesnt think I have any immune problems. He thinks I would be more sickly and things. I used to be sick all of the time but about two years ago I had my tonsils out and my deviated septum fixed. Since then I have had one sinus infection and thats it. Nothing else. So overall healthy.

Anyways he says that most of the time when an immune disorder is the cause of a miscarriage you have trouble getting pregnant. Yes we have had trouble getting pregnant but that is because I dont ovulate. I have only ovulated twice in 3 years and I got pregnant the second time I did. This leads him to believe there is no problem. I did have some bloodwork today and he is going to check some basic things that are the most common but other than that everything is fine in that aspect. It will take about 3 weeks to hear from this bloodwork as it is being sent to California.

I am still waiting on the results of the clotting tests.

One thing he did say was that I could have, if anything, a small immune disorder that was caused from taking Cortef. For those of you who dont know, I was misdiagnosed with a disease back in 2004. I was told by an Endocrinologist that I had Addison' s Disease, which is a very rare disease. He started me on Cortef which is a steroid. After being on it a few months I started feeling horrible. I explained this to him so he increased my dose. Well I then gained 70lbs in 3 months. That's right 3 Months!!!! I complained to the doctor about this and he proceeds to tell me that I am just eating too much...I had not changed my eating habits at all. So I decided to get a second opinion. I went to a new doctor and she ran some tests all to discover that I did not have Addison's disease and that by taking Cortef it had given me Cushings Syndrome. This is why all my weight was gained in the stomach and face. (Of course having PCOS was helping this weight gain tremendously). So I was taken off of the medication and things started to normal out. I was so depressed about the weight gain though that I didnt even do anything about if for over a year. Then I started to try but with PCOS it is a very very difficult battle. If you have it or know anything about it you understand this. It took many trys and failures but I have lost about 40lbs of it so far. Back in the healthy range anyway.

Its been a few years but the doc thinks this could have messed with my immune system some. We will see though.

On another note he told me that many many women lose their first pregnancy which we knew but he explained it very well. He said your body is like what is this? This isnt suppose to be here so it attacks it. But the second time around it is used to it. So that's what we are hoping.

Oh and for those of you wondering, we did try to take legal action against this doctor but he had put down a completely different diagnoses. Basically experimental. He had covered his tracks really well. And even though he wanted me to get a medical bracelet for Addison's and even gave me Cortef which is for Addison's there was nothing we could do. Still disgusts me!

No comments:

Post a Comment